Thursday, March 02, 2006

Do not fret...it only leads to evil

I used to love reading Proverbs. To have wisdom was my dream. I aspired to be wise in how I lived my life. I desired to be pleasing to God. How much of that, I wonder, was for Him and what He has done for me? When I look back on where I was not wise, I am discouraged. Yet the truth of God's Word says that though a man stumble, the Lord keeps his feet sure. So stumbling isn't exactly uncommon for people like me...people like us. We are all like sheep whom have gone astray. Yet God's love is not reserved for those of us who found a way back. I'm not really convinced that any of us could ever find a way if it were not provided for us. So, falling short of my aspirations to be wise might be just what I needed. For if they were my aspirations...the aspirations of a straying sheep...then they were of no value. They held no truth. Only a senseless longing and striving to leave the protection of my Shepherd, just so I could prove that I was worthy of Him. A sensless passion to give an unwanted sacrifice. Derek Webb mentions in his song, "A New Law", that the cry of the flesh is a new checklist. A new way to beat flesh. A new way to earn salvation. A new way to fix this...condition. Just like the Israelites of the Old Testament, begging for a new king when they already had THE King. We want a new law to keep when Someone has already fulfilled the old one. I no longer aspire to be a wise man. I want to know Christ. Jesus fulfilled it all. He has given everything. Now I can abide in Him. I don't have to abide...I can abide...emphasis on 'can'. I get to abide. So why be afraid? Why be afraid of this world? Why be afraid of not living up to my aspirations? Surely there is a word about this in the Word. There is...

Psalm 37:8 Refrain from anger, turn from wrath; do not fret...it only leads to evil.

David Crowder sang of this:
Take my fret, take my fear
All I have, I'm leaving here
Be all my hopes, Be all my dreams
Your mind delights me, my everything

I will worship, You Lord, only You Lord
And I will bow down, before You, only You Lord
- Only You

So let's not fret when our plans go to waste, or when the enemy appears to win...It isn't our aspirations or our glory that our lives depend on...it is His and He has overcome.

No comments: