Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Can I not be different?

I'm not sure how many times a day this happens. There is no formula for the circumstances that produce it either. I am sure, however, the condition of my heart is very much the same in each instance. Whether the issue is politics, pop culture, or 'the way things are these days', I find myself forecasting doom over the world around me. I observe a circuit court ruling and begin predicting the downfall of our society. I read about a theological argument choosing paper over plastic and I mock those who would waste such time and energy on such nonsense. Maybe I'll see a movie preview and scoff at the nature of the film while calling it a true 'sign of the times'...whatever that's supposed to mean. In these moments, my very actions and words reak of self-righteousness, judgement and despair. Worst of all, this is sometimes acceptable in my circles of society and given enough time I could spend more energy talking about how terrible that is as well.

At this point in my recollections I could very easily cry out like Paul saying , "What a wretched man I am?! Who will save me from this body of death?! (Romans 7:24) My state of being would reflect David's confessions in Psalm 37:22. At those times I am nothing more than a senseless, ignorant person behaving no better than a beast responding, as a slave, to the primal instincts of nature. Of course, left to myself the only answer would be despair. However, God is greater than I. He is so much greater than I. In His grace, He spoke these words in Isaiah 8:11-17:

11For the LORD spoke thus to me with his strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: 12"Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread. 13But the LORD of hosts, him you shall regard as holy. Let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.

14And he will become a sanctuary and a stone of offense and a rock of stumbling to both houses of Israel, a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15And many shall stumble on it. They shall fall and be broken; they shall be snared and taken."

16Bind up the testimony; seal the teaching among my disciples. 17I will wait for the LORD, who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope in him.

In this the Lord is saying clearly that I should not respond to the daily disappointments of our society or church with the spite of the flesh. I should not forecast doom as if to give into hopelessness and cease believing in God's redeeming power. Andrew Murray points out how we should respond biblically to moments like these in his book Waiting on God by saying:

"Instead of the tone of judgement or condemnation, of despondency or despair, realise your calling to wait upon God."

We are to wait on God in noticing the symptoms of sin around us. We are to wait upon God and fear Him. We are to wait upon God on behalf of those around us that need Him, just as we should wait on Him in our own deffeciency. Oh how ofen I do no turn over the daily trappings of distraction to the redeeming power found only in waiting on God. Oh my soul, wait only on God.

I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised. So shall I be saved from my enemies, I will call upon the Lord. The Lord liveth and blessed be the rock and let the God of my salvation be exalted.

No comments: