Friday, October 20, 2006

Yearning, Knowing and Yearning to Know

Today after a week of abscences from my prayer closet, I see how knowledge can puff up. (1 Corinthians 8:1) When the Spirit shines His light on all the things of my life, He reveals all of the amazing places I could go that day. Opportunities exist to be productive in my place of work, contribute to group discussions, spend time in the body of Christ (the Church), and so much more. There are so many options each day, but on days like today the light shines brightest on a closet in our apartment. That's the place I really wish I could be today. There is nothing inherently evil about what is keeping me from being there right now. For now, you see, is not the time set aside for me to be there. Unfortunately I neglected those times this week and I sit here, not in condemnation. Praise the Lord, I feel no condemnation because my life is hidden in Him now. I feel something else. I feel something that I could only quantify as an ever increasing desire. In other words, a yearning. I have a yearning to communicate with Christ, at the foot of the cross, and in the light of His words.

My motive isn't for head-knowledge, but for the substance of a relationship with Christ. The inner workings of a relationship that is bonded in privacy and intimacy with Him. There are many wonderful people that I have the privlege to say I know. I'm glad to know the likes of men like Andrew Sivulka, the Knowles Brothers, Brad Knueven, Benjamen Burke, Chad Vail, and Zachary Hung. I consider my relationship with my sister, parents, parents in love, new sisters (Suphia and Sara) and grandparents to be invaluable. I have the great pleasure and warm opportunities to grow closer to my wife, Saharh Burke, each day. There are so many more that I am thankful to know that I cannot take the time to write them at this moment. But the gloss of all these relationships grows dim and pale compared to the desire welling up within me to know Christ.

I don't take credit for this desire. It is something that has been planted within me by a power beyond my control. The Holy Spirit has shined His light on my heart and I can literally taste and see how only Jesus can fill what is lacking. Only what Christ inspires can be built on genuine love, truth, and beauty. Only in Christ can those other relationships shine. The only response my heart can muster is a thankfulness and a humble plea for more yearning and more hunger. By His grace, I will meet with Him in a quiet place tomorrow, so that I can fellowship with Him in private. Until then I will continue to seek the whispers of His voice in the crowded bellows of circumstance. Praise Jesus for the hunger that he both creates and quenches. I leave this post with the words of David Crowder.

"Come and listen. Come to the water's edge, all of you, who know and fear the Lord. Come and listen. Come to the water's edge, all of you, who are thirsty come."

No comments: