Thursday, November 09, 2006

I'm Starting to See This More and More...

I write this as a confession about myself. I was listening to a radio show that is hosted by a couple of guys that are followers of Jesus. A lot of times these guys tell funny stories about growing up or family life. They also do creative funny things like have racing championships with lawnmowers. Occassionally, however, these guys will get into politics or pop culture news events and that's when an interesting thing reveals itself to me. I have been just too judgemental.

When I start blasting the 'far left' for their opinions I can end up sounding just like they sound to me. I'm starting to see that mixing politics with my spirtual lifestyle is a very dangerous thing. Jesus didn't seem to get very involved in political things. I don't think he sat at the supper table talking about some new hedonistic law passed by the Roman legislation. It was probably the Pharisees who sat around the table saying, "You know they just legalized gay marriage over in Rome? What a downtrodden people they are." It is one thing to share with someone why I believe what I believe, while casting my vote in humility. It is another thing to do it with such an arrogant attitude. I'm not advocating that I let legislations go unchallenged, but I think Christians should be very careful of this area and approach it with great humility. When I spend more time complaining and forecasting doom on our current legislature, I ignore the genuine needs that people have. People need food, mom's need clothes for their kids, jobless people need shelter and hope, but mostly people need the love of Jesus. There isn't enough time in my day to judge others and follow Jesus. It has to be one or the other.

Or how about when some celebrity gets into another nasty divorce or drug problem, I look down my nose and write them off as if they weren't a person like me. I'm so comfortable casting my opinions of people in the popular culture because...well I don't know why. Is it because they have more money than me, and since they do, they should automagically have some kind of behavior modification? Is money really that powerful? Does a rich person throw themselves into some Biblical justification for self-righteous comments from the church, just because they're wealthy? Or just because they're enjoying a type of lifestyle that I'm supposed to obstain from? Am I jealous? I act as if they shouldn't have feelings and that they don't need love because they have the popularity and the finances to make up for whatever's lacking. I sit there and tell them money will never be enough, but I judge them as if I believed it should be enough.

I make comments about the people around me, the clothes they wear, and the personal problems that may have been revealed about them. I'm not a very trustworthy person to be honest. I ramble on and on about people and frankly I'm just tired of myself. I'm not sure what purpose it is supposed to fit when I talk so judgementally and negative about people, but I have to confess that I do. I say all of this to say...that I repent. Lord Jesus show me how to follow you, and love like you do. I don't want to dishonor you anymore with this judgemental attitude. I confess it to you and ask for you to change my heart and rescue me from my own foolishness.

No comments: